Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

devotions are great [updated]

They say it takes a village to raise a child. Some children don't need so many people, other may require two.

I was thinking the other day how so many people have come into my life and have just been stellar. I have been blessed so much by them just being there and living their life and I wonder if I have been any good to any of them. And I was thinking of something I can do to show some appreciation and have not come up with anything yet but I think its something worth doing. I don't have many friends but the ones I do have are the best and I like them to know that. I really hope this is not one of those good intention things that never see the light of day because that would be really sad.

On something totally random, working with people on something non-trivial is really hard. It really turns me to another person. I haven't figured out if its a good change or not. I certainly am not the reserved, 'anything la' person in this mode. Anyway its good to learn new things.

Still going through Matthew, so far so good. By the way devotions are great. Every day is different. Some days are just wow, other are hmm, and sometimes nothing makes sense and you have to trust that it will make sense at some point or never. It doesn't matter. Someone said 'if you put it in you, (talking about the words of God) God will bring it out of you' or something like that. So yeah. One thing I started doing is reading through and trying to understand the event through Jesus' eyes, from his perspective. It really is different.

[Update]
I found this quote from the desiring God blog and thought I should share. The post is an encouragement to continue reading the bible.
Do not think you are getting no good from the Bible, merely because you do not see that good day by day. The greatest effects are by no means those which make the most noise, and are most easily observed. The greatest effects are often silent, quiet, and hard to detect at the time they are being produced.
Think of the influence of the moon upon the earth, and of the air upon the human lungs. Remember how silently the dew falls, and how imperceptibly the grass grows. There may be far more doing than you think in your soul by your Bible-reading (J. C. Ryle, Practical Religion, 136)
-ONWARD!