Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Some fiction

This is the story of Jack. An ordinary, slightly weird quirky little kid who is always picked on. Even the nicest of people make an excuse to pick on Jack and overtime he has gotten used to it. That's the way it is for me, he thought. Its hard being picked on all the time, he had no confidence, no courage to stand up to his bullies. But the thing with being picked on all the time is that it makes you stronger. So Jack became stronger and could endure the endless teasing and mocking. It became like water on the back of a duck.

Jack grew up and so did the bullies, only this time they're in his workplace. They played all kinds of pranks at his expense and poor Jack just took it in. That's just the way it is for me he thought. One day Jack had really had it. It was one of those days nothing goes well, even for him. He came back home, took a nice warm shower, turned off the light and went to bed early. He couldn't sleep though. He was alone in the dark thinking about how unusually hard his life has been, thinking how unfair it all was and how all the good things never lasts for him. Jack was especially sad that day, he cried in the dark, on his bed, thinking how unfair it all was.

That night Jack had a dream. He was in the park, by the lake. It was a very beautiful day, the weather was just right, almost too good to be true. I guess that's how he knew it was a dream. He was sitting on a bench looking out to the lake and the sky, then he noticed his dad was sitting by his side with him. Now he's convinced its a dream. His dad died when he was just 18, from a heart attack but he looks fine now. Hello Jack, his dad said. Long time no see. Jack didn't talk much when his dad was around. Listen Jack, said his dad, I know you're having a hard time and all but don't let it get you down. Life can be tough I know but you can make it through. You could see Jack's eyes well up and he wanted to cry out, no I can't. I can't do this anymore but he was quiet. I tear dropped down from his left eye and made a small spot on his blue jeans. He sniffles. Dad continues, you're a tough kid Jack, and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you and we didn't really talk much but there's something I want you to know. See those clouds, Jack looked up. It wasn't a very cloudy day but there were a few clouds in the sky, those thin stretched out ones that look like there were painted. Everyday there's a different one. I used to come out here when I was a kid and just look at the sky. Some days you can make out clouds that look like different animals. I liked horses and I would search for clouds that look like horse but didn't manage to spot one. There were usually bunny clouds and stuff like that but everyday there's a different one. They're all unique, I guess that's why I came back again and again. It never gets boring you know. Jack couldn't see the point to all this talk of clouds so dad says after a while, people are like clouds, they're all different, they're all unique. They may look alike but everyone is just different. You're different Jack. I think I know that dad, Jack says at last.

You can see from dad's eyes that he's trying to cheer up his son but doesn't know how. There's not much a dead man in a dream can do. Dad was quiet for a long time, thinking of what to say to his son then finally he says, I want you to promise me something Jack and I want you to think about it first. I don't have much time but you do. You don't have to answer me now but I want you to promise me that you will never stop trying. Trying to do what? Jack says, just trying, you know, like a bicycle. It doesn't fall as long as its moving. Don't stop trying Jack, can you promise me that? Dad, I... He didn't finish his sentence when just like that dad was gone. I don't know if I can do that dad, he says to himself in a low tone. Those clouds began to darken and it seemed like a storm was approaching so Jack got up and headed for home. Just then he woke up. It was just a dream. But he already knew that.
===
Disclaimer:
Sometimes my imagination gets the better of me. All characters are fictional. That means they're not real. Jack is a real name of a real person and its possible for someone named Jack to have a dad who died when he was 18 but I don't know anyone like that. All relations to actual people is purely coincidental.

-ONWARD!