Pages

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Leaving Miri

A few years ago, I left Kuching and traveled 13 hours by bus to Miri to start a new chapter of my life. After my Diploma in Electrical/Electronics Engineering, I decided to do something different and applied for a degree program in Computer Science. It's what I always wanted to do but I think I underestimated how challenging it would be. My biggest worry at the time was whether I would find the same kind of people I found in Kuching. Coming to Bethany was the best thing that happened to me and I wanted that to continue.

Well even before leaving I heard about VCF (Varsity Christian Fellowship) from Kim and got in touch with Kenin through his blog. I also learned about Calvary Charismatic Center so was considering joining that church but have not made up my mind at the time.

Joining VCF was another good thing that happened to me. I love the people, and how they served and gave of themselves. How they loved other people. My favourite times were just hanging out, or celebrating someone's birthday or going out for dinner or supper together. There was this one time where a few of us went to the beach early for a bbq. Man the bbqs were the best. There used to be one every end of semester to celebrate the end of exams and to get together once more before everyone went back home.

Straight away after joining VCF I was made assistant cell group leader with Diana. I'm not sure which days but we met in campus 12 - 2 and it was a short time of sharing. Our group was small and it was very challenging because I'm not good at teaching or leading these kind of things. But I was assistant leader so it was not too much work. Over time I got more and more responsibilities and even was voted as President for a year. Not my choice but I'm glad that happened. It taught me a lot about myself and my abilities and inabilities. I love serving in VCF, I love the people and it's funny how it changes shape every year but the core function is still there. I really thank God for that.

Joining CCC was also a blessing. At the time I was in Curtin Villa and Samson was my next door neighbour. And he asked me if I had decided on a church yet and I hadn't so he invited me to church. I always enjoyed the message in church, the music was good sometimes but the people are the best. There are some churches where it's like everyone is so talented and they give their best in worship and in everything. Then there are some churches where people just show up and get the job done. Which is better? I think more than anything what matters is the heart and I see a lot of heart in the way people serve in Calvary.

While there we were involved, by we I mean most of the young people, in various things. We ran Youth Alpha on campus, went on the reading bus and served weekly in church. The most exciting times for me was when we started a young adults cell group. It came at the right time. I really needed that time of fellowship and worship with the young people and I was really blessed by the times I spent in cell.

In the earlier days I joined EYM at SIB Canada hill. Their style was very similar to Bethany and it was nice to have in the beginning but I soon stopped going because it was quite a distance from Senadin and I didn't always have transport. But I had a very nice time.

I'm really grateful for the time I spent in Miri. I think I was there longer than I was in Kuching. I am grateful for the friends I met there and the fellowships I had with people. I'm particularly grateful for the opportunity to serve with different people and do all kinds of crazy things. Looking back I have no regrets whatsoever. Sure it was not a smooth ride but looking back now I only remember the good stuff. As for the next chapter, I don't know what's going to happen but I'm determined to continue to serve wherever I am. I think it's the only worthwhile thing one can do with this life.

-ONWARD!