Love your side of the fence. I made this statement to a friend and at the time it just came out without much thought but as I think about it a bit more I'm quite puzzled why I framed it the way I did. It might have something to do with the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side".
The main premise for the statement is based on wanting more than you have at the moment. If I learned anything from my economics class way back in secondary school is that as humans we are inherently insatiable. Our wants are numerous and its vanity trying to satisfy them all, that is why we have priorities. So we always want more than we have and its not entirely a bad thing. The desire for more, better, has pushed us further ahead technologically and improved our lives immensely. But there's a bad side to always wanting more, and that's in not being content or satisfied. When will enough be enough for you?
My main argument was that life is all about seasons and a key to living happily in whatever season you are in is to find a way, or ways of enjoying it without looking at all the things you cannot have now, all the things that maybe will come in the next season. If you are single, by all means enjoy being single without regretting that you don't have someone. Do all the things that your freedom as a single allows you to do because once you find someone you won't be able to do those things any more. If you are a student, play games, travel, meet people, stay up late, enjoy your student life because you will have to work someday and you won't be able to do those things again. You will miss it. If you are working, enjoy your work, cherish the challenges and opportunities your job brings you. Enjoy waking up and having a place to go, things to do, errands to run because there will come a time when you won't have to do all those things any more and you will miss it.
Love your side of the fence is my way of saying, enjoy the now. Prepare for tomorrow and the changes it brings but live in the present.
-ONWARD!