Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2008

a million parachutes

My first contact with sixpence none the richer was back in Naija (Nigeria). There was this American tv station, tbn that showed christian music videos on sundays and thats where i first heard breathe your name and it instantly became one of my favourite songs and still is.

I like the way leigh nash, the lead singer sings. Her voice gives the band their unique distinction. I could listen to sixpence all day long and not get tired of them. You know some songs or albums when you listen to it too long you get tired of them? It doesn't happen with this band well at least not for me.

Whats with the name?
Well they get their name from C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity:

Every faculty you have, your power of thinking or of moving your limbs from moment to moment, is given to you by God. If you devoted every moment of your whole life exclusively to His service you could not give Him anything that was not in a sense His own already. So that when we talk of a man doing anything for God or giving anything to God, I will tell you what it is really like. It is like a small child going to his father and saying, 'Daddy, give me sixpence to buy you a birthday present.' Of course, the father does, and he is pleased with the child's present. It is all very nice and proper, but only an idiot would think that the father is sixpence to the good on the transaction. When a man has made these two discoveries, God can really get to work. It is after this that real life begins. (source)

My love for the band will not be complete without having at least one of their albums, their best of to be precise and leigh nash's solo album blue on blue.

I discovered a song i've not listened to before a few minutes ago on youtube and instantly liked it. While its not yet one of my favourite songs I really do like it. So here's a million parachutes



Like a million parachutes
The snow's coming down
I'll lock up the front door
And turn down the lights
I see them descend
Like a million parachutes
Small men on a mission

I miss the warmth
And I miss the sun
I miss the ocean
I miss everyone
And I miss the bridges
That span across the bay
Tonight, it seems like ages ago

Like a million parachutes
the snow still falls
The dogs are asleep now
There's no one to call
I'll put on some records
And wait for the light
Under those million parachutes
Now a blanket is white.

~shalom~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment